Welcome to Hooker Oak School. Hooker Oak is a K-8 school which currently houses approximately 370 K-6 students. Hooker Oak School embraces a Hands-on, Thematic Learning Community approach. Hooker Oak School is a school of choice in Chico Unified School District. Currently 7th and 8th grade are not being offered.
The Hooker Oak K-8 structure allows the Hooker Oak community to nurture and support students in a personal, in-depth way for nine years of a student's school life. The continuity in curriculum, facilities, staff members and programs provides a seamless transition from elementary school to middle school at an important point in a student's academic career.
The Hooker Oak School Mission is to provide exceptional education tailored to a student's own abilities, interests and learning styles. Through the combined efforts of teachers, parents and students, high academic standards are met while cultivating strong social skills, personal initiative and responsibility in Hooker Oak students.
The children who are enrolled in classes come from all over the district. Parents are asked to sign an agreement for commitment to work at least two hours a week per family in classrooms or on related activities.
Parents, grandparents, caregivers, and community members volunteer many hours every year; doing everything from tutoring to working in the classroom to creating fundraisers for enrichment programs. Parents serve as members of our Parent Advisory Board and School Site Council. Students benefit greatly from this relationship between home and school.
Hooker Oak seeks to support the individual and provide guidance, stimulation, and support.
- Some of our grade levels are looped which means students remain in the same class, with the same teacher for more than one year. The looped grades are 1-2 and 4-5
- Curriculum is developed by the teacher in concert with the children, using supplemental materials in addition to the District-adopted programs and state standards.
- Emphasis is on learning through experience using ever-developing problem solving skills.
- Academic goals are achieved through an integrated curriculum approach linked with the childrens' interests and needs. Integrated, thematic learning is a key component providing in-depth studies of topics.
- The teacher supports the learning environment as well as the learning style of each student. Attention is paid to the variable ways in which children learn. The idea is not what children should do at a given age or time, but what the child needs to help them develop to their full potential at their current level.
- Parents at Hooker Oak School are active participants in their children's education and are integral to the school's environment. All Hooker Oak families are encouraged to educate themselves and others in our school principles, philosophy, theory and action.
Hooker Oak School is a community of self-reliant learners. School and home are blended into a larger community as children, teachers, staff and parents work together. The community extends beyond the classroom walls to other classes, to the Chico urban community, and out into the world. Students come to this open structured, K-8 school from all over the Chico Unified School District. Enrollment is limited by district class size limits and pre-determined number of classrooms on campus. The school maintains a waiting list for students to become a Hooker Oak student in any given year.
*The 7/8 Grade Option has been "paused" until further notice.